Re: st: PDF Stata 8 manuals

From   "b. water" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: PDF Stata 8 manuals
Date   Tue, 15 Jul 2003 18:53:55 +0000

At the risk of wasting an email, fwiw, my vote goes to retention of the current system, i.e. reasonable licence fee, reasonable (albeit a tad expensive imho for v8) manuals cost and smcl on-line help. An integrated pdf would avoid wholesale piracy that's inevitable if Stata were to make a separate pdf help file. I don't mind whichever at the end of the day (pdf or smcl), but in agreement with Sam, that as far as learning Stata (and possibly some stats as well), hunting through the manuals and or FAQ/Archive goes a long way.

I'd rather Stata Corp. keeps the prices reasonable (see Nick's argument) than doing the pdf if it potentially meant heftier licence fee in the future. Just my humble opinion though.

Cheers,
bw

From: SamL <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
CC: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: PDF Stata 8 manuals
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 10:49:30 -0700 (PDT)

Some stations on a train of thought (not, by any means, the only train):

-adding pdf files *may* reduce the number of people buying manuals
-this *may* lead the manuals to increase in price
-this price increase *may* lead fewer people still to buy the manuals (me
among them)
-this *may* force the software to go up in price for everyone
-this *may* lead many to switch to other packages (e.g., R)
-after a decade or so, the argument will continue with the designers of R,
as people ask for "better" access to the manual

Why start this process at all? If it ain't broke . . .

Another set of thoughts

-searchable manuals are best for knowledgeable users (who will know what
to search for)
-many of the best most promising students learn a lot by the very effort
of hunting through a manual, reading matters they do not (at the moment)
need--this advantage of paper will be less widely experienced in the
change (already affected by the tech support search engine)

A final comment for this note

--I prefer the paper non-searchable manuals. I only use the tech support
pages when I have left the manuals at the office--a nice feature, but if I
have access to both, paper wins. I would be very sad (and would re-think
my software use) if it became prohibitively expensive to acquire the paper
manuals alone. If, on the other hand, the cost of the software goes up
(so even those with pdf files are paying to use the commands), or if those
who pay for pdf files have to pay a lot more to get them and the price of
paper manuals remains as is, then I'd be fine with it, just as long as the
paper manuals were no more expensive than the pdf files. But, I may be in
the minority in that desire for a more expensive software package--which
would seem necessary anyway, if more is being bundled with it. But, I
guess we should never underestimate the seductive illusion of obtaining
something for nothing. :-)

Respectfully,

Sam