RE: st: PDF Stata 8 manuals

From   Philip Ryan <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: PDF Stata 8 manuals
Date   Wed, 16 Jul 2003 09:46:16 +0930

I too want Stata prices to remain "reasonable" (however that term is construed), StataCorp to remain viable, and the excellent reference manuals to be available in paper form. On the other, many is the time I have been travelling and need to decide what is the _one_ volume of the manual I cannot do without, and won't tip the airline scales. Invariably I make the wrong choice. So a complementary electronic form of the manuals - I don't mind paying - would be welcome. I understand that some would not like the extra expense "built-in" to the price of Stata, that is, a user-pays principle would need to be involved. Also, Stata might be a bit wary of making a CD of its manuals available (although the pdf files can be made non-printable and non-copyable). Possible solution: the full manual in electronic form viewable on the web, perhaps in a subscription only site. (Other companies with somewhat less savoury reputation than StataCorp manage this. I'm told.)

Phil