st: RE: Re: memory management in Win2000

From   "Steven Stillman (LMPG)" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: memory management in Win2000
Date   Mon, 14 Jul 2003 17:20:30 +1200

Sorry, I should have been a bit clearer here.  I am using stata 7 with stata
7 format datasets.  I am not using virtual memory with at least 100m of
physical memory available after opening a 240m dataset.  The problem is with
the initial allocation of physical memory that occurs when I open stata for
the first time.  This is just plain slow taking approx. 1min to allocate
each 20m.  I am assuming this has to do with win2000 and my particular
motherboard, etc. and nothing to do with Stata but I was hoping that some
experts out there might have a solution for speeding things up.

Thanks,
Steve

PS I am about to install stata 8 so we will soon see if this helps speeds
things up.

The information contained in this document is intended only for the
 addressee and is not necessarily the views nor the official
communication of the Department of Labour.  All final/official papers
which are sent from the Department will be sent by non-electronic
means, on appropriate letterhead, signed by authorised personnel.