st: RE: programs with options

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: programs with options
Date   Fri, 11 Jul 2003 15:21:38 +0100

Jean-Benoit Hardouin

> When I write a program with options, I must put a space
> between the last
> variable and the comma, else Stata don't understand that
> the last variable
> is "varK" and not "varK,". How resolve this problem.
>
> I have try to write my syntax line as :
> syntax varlist[,option1 option2] instead of
> syntax varlist [,option1 option2] but I obtain the same result.
>
> Example with an xxx program :
> xxx var1 var2 var3, option1 option2
> =>, invalid name
> =>r(198);
>
> xxx var1 var2 var3 , option1 option2
> =>OK

I think you must show us _exactly_ what your real program
is. My guess is that you have a problem, but it is not this.

If I write a program

program p1
	version 8
	syntax varlist[,foo bar]
	di "is OK"
end

then things work OK with

. p1 mpg weight

. p1 mpg weight,foo

. p1 mpg weight, foo

. p1 mpg weight , foo

. p1 mpg weight ,foo

-- so in terms of both (a) how the program
is written (b) what you fire at it, Stata
is not fussed.

In practice, I would write something more
like

program p1
	version 8
	syntax varlist [, foo bar]
	di "is OK"
end

but that's personal style reference (and
also -- and this is of some importance --
closer to Stata Corp's house style and the
style of most Stata programmers).