st: RE: tabulating frequency records

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: tabulating frequency records
Date   Thu, 10 Jul 2003 16:14:05 +0100

Zekveld, Cornelia

> I have frequency data and would like to tabulate some
> variables. For some of
> the cells there are no observations, which should then be
> treated like a
> missing value which is what they are (using the table
> command). However, for
> other cells the frequency is zero (actually an average less
> than 0.5), but
> for these entries the table command also handles them as if
> they are missing
> and so I turn up with blanks!
>
> The only solution I could come up with, is to replace the
> zero frequencies
> with an obvious number like 9999 and then my problem is
> solved (not ideal),
> however, I would like to know whether there is a way to
> tabulate such data
> so that in the table a zero is displayed instead of the 9999s
>

> . table agentname agecat [fw= AnnAvgActT], c(freq) missing

>                                          |       agecat
>                                AgentName | 16-39  40-64    65+
> -----------------------------------------+--------------------
>                                A........ |     1      2      .
>                                 C....... | 9,999      1      .
>                                   C..... |     .      1  9,999
>                            I............ |     .  9,999      .
>                                   N..... |     1  9,999      .
>                             O........... |     1      2  9,999
>
> If I do not use the 9999 - method, then the last column of
> 65+ is totally dropped.

I am not sure what is entailed by an average frequency < 0.5.
-table- works on each cell frequency independently, except that
totally empty rows or columns will be omitted.

So I am not clear what the problem is.

Does -tabulate- produce the same result?

-tabcount- on SSC may help. There was a posting on Statalist
on 22 June 2003: here is the URL, which will possibly get
split after it leaves my machine:
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/lwgate/STATALIST/archives/statalis
t.0306/Author/article-462.html