Re: st: plugin for C++?

From (Roberto G. Gutierrez, StataCorp.)
Subject   Re: st: plugin for C++?
Date   Mon, 07 Jul 2003 17:12:13 -0500

Matt Schonlau <> asked:

> I see with delight that stata now has a plugin facility for C. Does this
> work for C++ code, or does it need to be C?

Salah Mahmud <> responded:

> It does. It works with any development environment/language that supports
> pointers (variables that store memory locations of other variables) and
> generates standard DLLs (dynamically-loaded Libraries) for the target
> operating system. I know for certain that it works with Delphi
> (Object-oriented version of Pascal) under Windows (I tried that and it works
> without glitch). So it should work with C++.

The plugin facility should in principle work with C++ code, and our initial
testing indicates that it does.  Once our testing is completed, we will add
this capability to the web documention for Stata plugins, available at

This should take about one week.

Note that the addition of C++ support will also require an update to
-stplugin.h-, which will also be made available on the web site.  Naturally,
the new -stplugin.h- will be fully backwards-compatible.

--Bobby                                      --Kevin