st: risk-adjusted modeling

From   Lily Huang <>
Subject   st: risk-adjusted modeling
Date   Tue, 1 Jul 2003 13:46:02 -0700 (PDT)

I have a very large data set with more than 100
independent variables.  I am trying to do a
risk-adjusted model for hospitalization.  The
dependent variable was created based on a
hospitalization event during the first 7 days of a
home care admission and was coded as 0 and 1.  However
the rate of hospitalization of 7 days is very rare
(2.7%).  My questions is

(1)May I apply a Poisson regression model in this
situation?  If yes, how can I reduce independent
variables? If no, what is the best way that I should

In addition, I also created variables that indicate if
a patient had a hospitalization event within 14, 21,
and 30 days.  I am going to try modeling how patientsí
characteristics at start of care relate to the
occurrence of an event within a certain time period.
Any suggestion of how I should approach this.   I am
new to statistics and am still learning.  Iíll really
appreciate your response.

Lily Padula

Do you Yahoo!?