st: RE: Test coefficients across equations

From   "Mike Hollis" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Test coefficients across equations
Date   Fri, 27 Jun 2003 07:53:58 -0700

On option I suggested to Borsant was that he consider using software that
includes routines explicitly for multiple group analysis.  Lisrel, Amos and
Mplus (included in the software links on Stata's home page) are among the
possibilities.  The features in these full information ML estimators include
the ability to explicitly estimate and test for a variant of coefficient
constraints within and between groups.  Correlations for residuals between
equations (i.e., groups) can also be estimated, as with Zellner's method.

The new piece of information provided by Borsant that causes me to now
question the appropriateness of the multi-group strategy is his statement
that groups may have transitioned from one to another over time.  Allowing
the simple correlation of error terms, as in Zellner's method, is unlikely
to be an adequate strategy for handling the effects of this type of
non-independence.  At this point, he may need to consider multi-group
hierarchical modeling (features that software like Mplus and Amos) with the
higher-order effects essentially accounting for the transition of firms from
one group to the next.

I've been out of the field for some time, but there was some work involving
growth models and the analysis of change that might be helpful in this area.
Most of that work was being done in the area of cognitive development and
testing.  You might take a look through this literature -- or check Bengt
Muthen's web page at ULCA (Muthen developed Mplus) -- for possible leads.
Another possibility would be to ask this questions of the people involved
with structural or hierarchical modeling since they seem to have done the
most work in the area of multiple group analysis.