st: Re: t-tests for differences in means using pweights

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: t-tests for differences in means using pweights
Date   Thu, 26 Jun 2003 11:33:41 -0400

I don't think my original posting was clear enough.  What I have are two unique
samples, one from the first wave of a survey and the other from the next wave.
In each wave respondents were asked the same question, and I'm looking at
aggregate means on this question for each wave of the survey.  I'm trying to
determine whether the difference in the mean value of the variable among
respondents in the first wave is significantly different from the mean among
respondents in the second wave (after weighting the responses with pweights).
The problem is that the samples are unique, so I can't use the "svymean"
or "svylc" commands, but I also can't use the "ttest" command b/c it does not
accept pweights.  I hope this is clearer than the first post below, and again I
would appreciate any thoughts.  Thanks in advance.

Pat Sharkey
Doctoral student in Sociology and Social Policy
Harvard University