st: Fwd: lookup in second dataset

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Fwd: lookup in second dataset
Date   Wed, 25 Jun 2003 11:21:03 -0400

Bayard asked:

Hi, I'm a new Stata user with a merge problem.

I have one data set (call it A) with a variable that needs to be defined in
terms of the observations in a second data set (B). I don't know if this can
be done with a single command or if it needs to be programmed.
Basically, B is a lookup table. I need to lookup the contents of an A var in
B, and return the value of a different B var corresponding to the same data
point.

please see

http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/characteristics.html

Kit