Stata The Stata listserver
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date index][Thread index]

st: RE: Stata5 v Stata8


From   "Nick Cox" <n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk>
To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: RE: Stata5 v Stata8
Date   Mon, 23 Jun 2003 14:24:32 +0100

Donal O'Neill
> 
> Some time ago I wrote a program to estimate counterfactual 
> wage densities
> using Stata 5.  The program worked fine but when Stata 6 
> came out the same
> program would no longer run. Instead at certain points in 
> the program I
> would get error messages like "_00005Q not found". It was 
> not obvious to me
> at the time what had changed so my solution then was to 
> continue using
> Stata 5 for this program but Stata 6 for everything else. I 
> now use Stata 8
> but continue to use Stata 5 for this earlier analysis. 
> After a couple of
> years I've finally decided its probably time to sort this 
> out. Any ideas as
> to why the original program did not transfer from version 5 
> to 6 (or 7 or
> 8) would be appreciated. The program itself is quite long 
> but the error
> message seems to be occurring with simple "generate" or 
> "replace" commands.

This would be a reference to a temporary name 
which Stata regards as unassigned. I can't immediately 
imagine why this would have been broken by 
a change from Stata 5 to Stata 6, but it 
is difficult to debug blindfold. 

You could 

. set trace on 

and show us some or all of the log file up 
until it crashes. This might be shorter 
than the original program. 

Nick 
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk 

*
*   For searches and help try:
*   http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/findit.html
*   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
*   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/



© Copyright 1996–2014 StataCorp LP   |   Terms of use   |   Privacy   |   Contact us   |   What's new   |   Site index