Re: st: saveold and platform independce

From   [email protected] (Shannon Driver, StataCorp)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: saveold and platform independce
Date   Thu, 19 Jun 2003 15:02:57 -0500

Michael Hills <[email protected]> wrote:

> I seem to have found a problem with saveold. I used saveold under
> stata8 running under linux The resulting files were recognised by
> stata7 under linux but mot under windows 98.

> The transfer of files from the linux box to a w98 box was done via
> floopy disk and CD, with the same result.

> Does anyone know whether this is a feature of the transfer between
> operating systems, or a feature of stata?

I do not believe this is a platform issue, but rather an updating issue.  I
would recommend that Michael makes sure he has the most recent update to Stata
7, especially on his Windows 98 machine.

I was able to reproduce and solve this problem on Windows 2000 by updating.
Here is what I did in Stata 8.

     * Stata 8 Commands

     . sysuse auto
     (1978 Automobile Data)

     . saveold oldauto, replace
     file oldauto.dta saved

And then in Stata 7:

     * Stata 7 Commands

     . use oldauto, clear
     file oldauto.dta not Stata format
     r(610);

     . query born

     . qui update all

     * After completion of the update
     . query born

     . use oldauto, clear
     (1978 Automobile Data)

If you continue to have the problem, please contact me privately and I will be
happy to look into the matter.

--Shannon Driver