Re: st: episode data in st format

From   Ronan Conroy <[email protected]>
To   "statalist hsphsun2.harvard.edu" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: episode data in st format
Date   Wed, 18 Jun 2003 15:04:47 +0100

on 18/06/2003 2:49 pm, anna krivelyova at [email protected] wrote:

> I am only interested in the timing of inpatient
> hospitalization (in and out of hospital spells), but
> the dates of outpatient services give me info on when
> the observed period starts and ends for each person.
>
> My question is how do I tsset this data?

You don't say what version of Stata you are using, but Stata 8 has a whole
manual on survival analysis and epidemiological tests. You should read and
understand the -stset- command documentation, because Stata has very
powerful methods for dealing with survival data. But you need to know how
these methods relate to the logic of your data. In particular, pay attention
to variables which record things that apply during the spell spanned by the
record and ones which record things that changed at the end of the record.

Survival analysis is something you need to sit down with and work some
examples to get happy with.

Actually, what statistical method isn't?

Ronan M Conroy ([email protected])
Lecturer in Biostatistics
Royal College of Surgeons
Dublin 2, Ireland
+353 1 402 2431 (fax 2764)

they are addressed.
originator of the message. This footer also confirms that this
email message has been scanned for the presence of computer viruses.

states them to be the views of The Royal College Of Surgeons in Ireland.