st: RE: Stata 8 graphics

To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: RE: Stata 8 graphics
Date   Tue, 17 Jun 2003 16:37:57 +0100

R. Allan Reese

> I have some bad news and good news:
>
> Under Stata 7 you could (still can) draw any self-designed
> plot using the
> gph commands starting with a blank screen.  That system
> seems to have been
> abandoned - you have to start from a basic graph type.  I
> mention this
> because of a couple of recent requests could have been met
> by writing a
> program of gph calls.

The bad news is not really news, and in
a sense not correct either. Various
postings on Statalist have touched on this over the last
few months.

Underneath what you see documented in [G]
in 8 are various levels of graphics. Call what
is visible now the "upper level" and call
what is below and -- roughly -- equivalent
to -gph- the "middle level". There are lower
levels therefore.

We have been assured that the middle level will
be documented for user-programmers in due course.

My own guess from the runes is that this will
be done before the sixth Harry Potter book appears.
It is in the plans, however.

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk