Re: st: multinomial choice with panel data

From   "Guillaume Frechette" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: multinomial choice with panel data
Date   Tue, 17 Jun 2003 12:10:30 +0000

Hi Guanghui: you should take a look at gllamm which I believe will allow two levels of random effects (although I don't know for certain). If you also want to have laged dep. var. then you need to deal with the initial condition problem. One way to do this is correlated random effects (I include two references at the bottom). To read about random effects ordered probit/logit take a look at any advance textbook in econometrics. You could of course simply estimate an ordered probit/logit and adjust the standard errors via something like cluster which is simpler but biased (and inconsistent at least for logit). Good luck.

@INBOOK{Heckman:1981a,
author = "James J. Heckman",
chapter = "The Incidental Parameters Problem and the Problem of Initial Conditions in Estimating a Discrete Time-Discrete Data Stochastic Process",
editor = "Charles F. Manski and D. McFadden",
title = "Structural Analysis of Discrete Data with Econometric Applications",
publisher = "MIT Press",
address = "Cambridge, MA",
year = "1981",
pages = "179-195"}

@ARTICLE{Chamberlain:1980a,
author = "Gary Chamberlain",
title = "Analysis of Covariance with Qualitative Data",
journal = "Review of Economic Studies",
year = "1980",
volume = "47",
number = "",