RE: st: Default precision - was Why does Stata do it wrong?

To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   RE: st: Default precision - was Why does Stata do it wrong?
Date   Wed, 11 Jun 2003 12:48:05 +0100

Fred Wolfe replied to Allan Reese

> >So, StataCorp, could the change to the default be made as
> a simple update
> >in the current version of the exe?  Would it have
> implications other than
> >the program not being BUG-compatible with the current version?
>
> One implication it would have, particularly for users with
> large data sets
> that may have memory constraints, would be for current
> analyses to fail
> because of insufficient memory. In addition, it would not
> be backward
> compatible. Perhaps a solution might be to have a -set
> default type (perm)-
> so that users would have the option to choose. For my own
> work, doubles are
> rarely needed, and I set them when they are needed.

In effect, users already have this choice. If you
want, put

set type double

in your profile.do. Absolutely no change needed
to executable.

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk