st: RE: Matrix inversion "bug"

From   "David E Moore" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: RE: Matrix inversion "bug"
Date   Tue, 10 Jun 2003 11:23:23 -0700

Given Mark's description, this does indeed sound like a "bug" or at least an
annoying feature.  The problem, of course, is that Stata doesn't "know" that the
matrix in question is (supposed to be) symmetric.  I'm not sure it's a great
idea to use a procedure that forces symmetry, however, because one might be
tempted to use the procedure in situations that don't guarantee (in principle)
that a matrix is symmetric.  This is not Mark's situation, but I can imagine one
in which subtle programming issues obscure the problem and an incorrect use of
something like syminv2 could lead to difficulties.  And wouldn't we also need a
cholesky2 command?

Instead, I'd suggest that Stata develop an internally created and maintained
property for matrices that indicates whether or not it is symmetric.  Perhaps
this is already being done for diagonal matrices.  This property would "know"
that the result of particular matrix expressions should create a symmetric
matrix and enforce this by whatever internal operations are necessary.  For
example, Stata should know that if S is symmetric, then X*S*X' is also
symmetric.  If S had a property that indicated its symmetric nature, then Stata
could perform the appropriate calculations/manipulations to ensure that the
result of this expression is also symmetric, and assign it the symmetric
property as well.

Admittedly, this would require re-tooling Stata.  But it would result in a
change that was transparent to programmers and users without having to add yet
another special purpose command or two.