st: Using Stata 8 data files in Stata 6

From   Adam Chapman <>
Subject   st: Using Stata 8 data files in Stata 6
Date   Tue, 10 Jun 2003 10:40:37 +1000

Many thanks for help on my previous query. I hope someone can help me with this one:

I've been trying to use a Stata 8 data file in Stata 6, but keep getting the error message "file not Stata format". Is there a (relatively easy) way of transforming Stata 8 files so that they are able to be used in Stata 6 ?

The command 'saveold' saves Stata 8 data in Stata 7 format, and doesn't help in using Stata 6, or so it appears.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Adam Chapman
School of Health Sciences
Deakin University