st: RE: stata 1.0

From   "Blair, Bob" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: RE: stata 1.0
Date   Mon, 09 Jun 2003 06:30:55 -0500

The earliest version I can remember using was 1.2 (I think). Similar in so
many ways...commandline interface, etc. Much less breadth of functionality.
Of course, the same can be said for the computing platforms; ours was an
original IBM AT running DOS circa 3.0 with a 286 CPU running at 6 MHz with
128 KB of RAM (I think...piggybacked packaging) and a 20 MB HD, which failed
within a month or so and was replaced with a 30 MB drive---later I replaced
the clock crystal and pushed it to 8 MHz.

Everything came on a couple of low capacity 5-1/4" floppies. The software
was quick, stable, useful, and usable. And, as is still the case, support
was outstanding. I finally disposed of the documentation (3-ring binders)
and floppies (have not had a 5-1/4" drive in several years) about a year
ago.

The design philosophy behind Stata has been consistent throughout the years
and version upgrades.

Bob Blair
Assured Quality Coordinator
Owens Corning

"On my arrival in the United States, I was struck by the degree of ability
among the governed and the lack of it among the governing." --Alexis de
Tocqueville