st: Windows update woes

From   Christopher Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Windows update woes
Date   Thu, 5 Jun 2003 07:07:26 -0400

Can someone out there who understands how Windows hides its filenames please help this chap? The preponderance of questions about 'why doesn't the ivendog routine work' come from Windows users who can't fiigure out how to update their executable (so have never done so)--three last week alone.

Thanks
Kit

Begin forwarded message:

From: "P.Hua" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu Jun 5, 2003 6:04:26 AM US/Eastern
To: Kit Baum <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: ivendog

Dear Kit,

Many thanks for your help.
You are right. I am using Windows and did update all.
I tried to fellow the instructions, but I cannot find wstata.old, this after several times of update.
So, I just copy wstata.bin to paste on wstata.exe. The copy of wstata.bin apprears. But it doesnot work. When I did again update query, the version of installed stata executable is still on 15 dec, 2000, but the last available is 11 jun 2002. How can I do to have the last version of stata executable which has the update take effect?

Sincerely,

Ping
At 15:46 04/06/03 -0400, vous avez �crit:

Dear Ping,

My guess is that you are (1) using Windows, (2) did 'update all' which downloaded the executable, and (3) did not follow the instructions regarding renaming .bin to .exe, etc. at the DOS level. This last step seems to be very difficult for many Windows users to deal with. If you do 'query born', you will probably find that your executable dates from 2001. If this is the case, ivendog (and a number of other things) will not work. You must update the version of the Stata executable that you are running to have the update take effect.

Thanks
Kit