st: Minor bug

From   "Dupont, William" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Minor bug
Date   Thu, 29 May 2003 14:55:03 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Dupont, William
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2003 2:39 PM
To: Dupont, William
Statalisters

I believe there is a bug in the blcolor option of the twoway rarea
command.  The following do file and comments illustrates the bug and
explains why this might confuse point and click users.  Please let me
know if I am misinterpreting the intent of this option.

*********************
*  rarea.do
*  Evidence of a bug in the blcolor option of the twoway rarea command
*
set scheme s2color
set more on
set obs 5
gen x = _n
generate high = 3 + x
generate low = x
twoway rarea low hi x, bcolor(gs14)                       //Comment 1
more
twoway (rarea high low x)                                 //Comment 2
more
twoway (rarea high low x, bfcolor(gs14))                  //Comment 3
more
twoway (rarea high low x, blcolor(none) bfcolor(gs14))    //Comment 4
(bug)
more
twoway (rarea high low x, blcolor(gs14) bfcolor(gs14))    //Comment 5
************************

Comments

1.  This command works as specified on page 313 of the graphics manual.

2.  A problem may arise if we try to replicate this graph using the
point and click interface.  This command results from using the Plot 1
tab of the Twoway graph option specifying Type = rarea and using all
Area defaults.  The resulting graph is too dark for some applications.

3.  This command results from choosing Gray 14 as the fill color.  The
resulting graph has a dark outline.

4.  The Color pull down box controls the color of the outline.  This
command results from choosing Color = none.  I believe that this command
should have the same effect as the command on the //Comment 1 line.
Instead it gives a blank graph.  I assume that this is a bug.

5.  Setting Color=Gray 14 gives this graph command which has the desired
effect.

Most users will have different opinions about optimal defaults.  My
guess is that the majority of users would prefer to have no boarder
outline as the default for this option.  It is certainly the option that
gives the simplest graph.

William D. Dupont          phone: 615-322-2001          URL
http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/prevmed/facstaff/dupont.htm