st: Re: PGP

From   Christopher Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: PGP
Date   Thu, 29 May 2003 09:58:21 -0400

On Thursday, May 29, 2003, at 02:33 AM, Nick wrote:

As I understand it, US legislation on export of software
codifying encrypting/decrypting algorithms is very strict.
It matters not whether the algorithms are well known or
published in internationally accessible literature.
There are internationalized versions of PGP, which was developed partially to circumvent the regulations of which you speak. Interestingly, those regs were actually _relaxed_ in 1999:

http://www.pgpi.org/pgpi/project/

I have fond memories of Apple's commercial with army tanks surrounding the original Mac G4 tower system, which was powerful enough to bump up against the US restrictions on munitions exports...at the time, 1 Gigaflop, I believe.

Kit Baum, Boston College Economics [email protected]
http://fmwww.bc.edu/ec/baum.php

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/