st: Problem with confirm

From   Marcello Pagano <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Problem with confirm
Date   Mon, 19 May 2003 20:52:22 -0400

Kaleb Michaud sent this to the Stata list, but it never was posted. So I am sending it for him.

Hello Stata users,

Recently discovered that we could use every stata command for manipulating and using files on the web except for -confirm file-. It always gives us the same error (file not found), even though the file does exist and other stata commands have accessed the file already.

Case in point, when using Stata 8SE on a Win2K machine:

. confirm file http://www.stata.com/site.html
file http://www.stata.com/site.html not found
r(601);

. type http://www.stata.com/site.html
<head>
<title>Site index</title>
[snip]

Clearly these are read-only files, but they do exist and can be "seen" by Stata.
Now, the same results occur when using XP, but it no longer gives the error when I remove the "http:" prefix - I assume this is due to XP file/net management as it doesn't not work on Win2K.

Any recommendations? Is this a problem with Stata or fixable with another command? I really do need to have a command that does the same as -confirm file- for possible on-line locations.

Thanks,

Kaleb Michaud
Arthritis Research Center

PS. I still would LOVE to see a program in Stata for determining eigenvectors from a square non-symmetric matrix. You've got one for eigenvalues, just one more not-quite-simple step. :)

Fred Wolfe
National Data Bank for Rheumatic Diseases
Wichita, Kansas
Tel (316) 263-2125 Fax (316) 263-0761