st: RE: Adding leading zeros to numeric variable and converting to string

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Adding leading zeros to numeric variable and converting to string
Date   Sat, 17 May 2003 17:25:04 +0100

Ankur Sarin

> I need to convert a numeric variable to string but add
> leading zeros.
> So a 4 needs to be converted to 004, a 40 to 040 and
> 400 to 400 (only  upto 3 digits). I need to combine
> this new string variable with another to make ids.
> I tried
> tostring hhpsu, f(%03s)
>  but that returns hhpsu as str1 and with all missing
> values.

The reference is to -tostring- (STB-56/STB-57).

I don't know which version you are using but the
-format()- specified must be a numeric format
indicating how the number is to be rendered. That
is, it is applied to the input numeric variable,
not the output string variable.

Your error is trapped in the version of STB-57,
which is also that on SSC.

As all your numbers appear to be integers,
you need only one line:

either

tostring hhpsu, format(%012.0f)

or

gen str3 hhpsu_s = string(hhpsu, "%012.0f")