st: RE: RE: RE: RE: broken axis symbol?

From   Lee Sieswerda <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: RE: broken axis symbol?
Date   Thu, 15 May 2003 09:42:37 -0400

Transformed scales are used in the epidemiology literature, of course, but
more often in the very technical literature. Indeed, I'm sure every
conceivable scale transformation has been used at some point. However,
epidemiology also serves wider, less mathematically inclined, public health
and medical audiences. Most health care practitioners wouldn't know what to
do with a log or square root scale.  Also, epidemiological studies often end
up in the media. Can you see an epidemiologist trying to explain the square
root rate of influenza while on television? It is also very unlikely that
newspapers will print charts with log or square root scales. So, if we are
able to simply break the axis to make the scale more understandable to
non-statistically-oriented types, then we do (and should).

Lee