RE: st: insheet Q

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: insheet Q
Date   Wed, 14 May 2003 15:24:12 +0100

Ernest Berkhout replied to Clara Soh

> >I'm having problems importing data into Stata.  My data is
> in excel,
> >(saved it as a *.raw file text format, tab delilimited).
> when i use
> >insheet to import the data, most of the data get imported
> correctly, but
> >a few observations get dropped or changed.  Insheet is pretty
> >straightforward, and i can't figure out what is going
> wrong.  I have
> >about 30,000 observations, which is well under the 66,000
> limit that
> >excel can handle, but it's too many to go through the data
> by hand to
> >manually correct the observations that are dropped.  And
> some of the
> >values are imported, but changed.
> >
> >i tried reimporting the data, but which particular values
> are changed
> >pretty much random each time, so i can't predict where
> i'll need to fix
> >the data.
> >
> >does anyone know if this is a bug, or if there is something special
> >that i need to do?
>
> It might have to do with how your data are formatted in
> Excel, especially
> the first row. Your describtion is a little too vague for
> me to tell what
> the exact problem is, but you might try to import the data
> with just a
> simple copy-and-paste. Or maybe  use a delimiter such as ;
> instead of tabs?

I agree with Ernest. Different results from exactly
the same procedure would be most puzzling, but
tech support would need precise details.

Known problems with import of Excel data to Stata
are documented at

http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/newexcel.html

and offers of extra tips and notifications of
extra pitfalls are always welcome.