Re: st: Filling missing values. with averages

From   Russell Dimond <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Filling missing values. with averages
Date   Tue, 13 May 2003 10:59:19 -0500

Radu Ban's suggestion will work well if you know that the first and last year for each id is never missing. But suppose your data included:

id year rates
1 1965 .5
2 1945 missing
2 1946 .2

Presumably you don't want the missing rate to be set to .35.

This is easily fixed though:

by id: replace rates = (rates[_n-1]+rates[_n+1])/2 if rates == .

The by splits your data set into separate parts for each id. Thus rates[_n-1] is missing for the first year of each id rather than reaching back to the last year of the previous id. In our example, the missing value will remain missing (which is better than .35). If your goal is to eliminate all missing values you'll still have to come up with an alternative way of imputing missing first and last years. The obvious thing, and on the same order of accuracy as what you're doing, would be to set it equal to the second/second to last year. So after running the above enough times to fix all internal gaps, try:

by id: replace rates=rates[2] if _n==1
by id: replace rates=rates[_N-1] if _n==_N

Of course there are all sorts of more complex and hopefully more accurate things you could do instead.

Russell Dimond
Research Support
Social Science Computing Cooperative
University of Wisconsin