Re: st: graph syntax and smalldlg queries

From   "b. water" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: graph syntax and smalldlg queries
Date   Tue, 13 May 2003 13:39:39 +0000

thanks jean marie. felt better now. at the moment, our organization has no plan to upgrade w98. so i guess i will not be able to make full use of stata8, esp. the graphing dlg boxes for now.

cheers,
bw

From: [email protected] (Jean Marie Linhart, StataCorp.)
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: graph syntax and smalldlg queries
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 12:11:59 -0500

"b. water" <[email protected]> wrote:

> 2. having used stata7 before, i got used to entering commands rather
> than using the pull-down dialog boxes. but in the spirit of
> curiousity i decided to explore the dialogs. well, the first thing i
> encountered in clicking on the graphics -> histogram was the error
> msg: insufficient memory to load dialog. so i checked -help
> smalldlg-, close all other running apps except for stata8 and tried
> again. same error msg. so then i -set smalldlg on- then some kind of
> dialog interface appears and the histogram function worked. not
> knowing what the full version of the dialog box is, i can't compare
> how 'watered down' is the small dialog box. is this a bug or am i
> not doing something right?

You are doing everything fine.  It is an unfortunate "feature" of some
of the older operating systems (e.g. Win98) that they just do not
handle large dialogs well.  Since our new graphics system has so much
flexibility, all of Stata's graphics dialogs are large.  We did have
to remove some functionality from the graphics dialogs in order to
make sure they would work with these operating systems.  Of course, no
dialog can capture the full flexibility of the graphics system to
begin with -- although we sure as heck tried!  In the smalldlgs you
have lost some ability to choose things like colors, positions and
sizes relative to the larger dialogs, and a few things like captions
and notes also had to disappear.  (You still have titles and subtitles).

Trust me, as someone who worked hard on the graphics dialogs,
removing functionality from them was the last thing I wanted to do,
unfortunately, we had no choice.

You can still create a base graphics command using the dialog and then
save that command and later edit it to add in anything you wish from the
graphics system.

If you really want the bigger better dialogs, the only solution is to
upgrade your operating system.

--Jean Marie

* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/