Re: st: multiple if??

From   Ted Anagnoson <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: multiple if??
Date   Sun, 11 May 2003 11:47:18 -0700

At 02:42 PM 5/11/03 -0400, you wrote:
Hi,

I have the following problems

I have variable index which takes values from 1-10

I have variables demand1 - demand10
depending upon the value of index, I have to select the value of demand 1

i.e.

if index==1, dem1 = demand1
if index==2, dem1 = demand2
if index==3, dem1 = demand3
Try something like:

gen dem1 = demand1 if index == 1
or, if dem1 already exists,
replace dem1 = demand1 if index == 1

General rule:
If statements go after the relevant command in Stata, and before the comma the delimits the command portion from the options portion....

Ted Anagnoson
Political Science

and so on

Is there any easy way (or a single command) to do this

Thanks,

Prabhu