st: RE: statalist-digest V4 #1239

From   "Smith, Daniel (DHS-DEODC-EHIB)" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: statalist-digest V4 #1239
Date   Fri, 9 May 2003 09:17:47 -0700

-----Original Message-----
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 18:11:37 +1000
From: David Vaughan <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: st: Help -- Having Difficulty Updating STATA Under Mac OS X

On Monday, May 5, 2003, at 16:33 Australia/Sydney, David Airey
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Stata -update swap- expects to find "Stata.bin" but on the Mac
>> under OS X it is just called "Stata". Instead of doing -update swap-
>> just quit and remove the old Stata (actually, I compress and save
>> mine,
>> just in case) and rename the file Stata.1 to Stata. Then go.
>>
>> regards
>> David
>
> If it were this simple. It never worked for me. When I did this (and
> emptied the trash), the rename StataSE.1 never starts.

>David

>You may need also to alter the permissions as suggested by a couple of
>other correspondents. I did not have that particular problem. The
>permissions are easily changed in Terminal with -chmod +x Stata-

>If this still does not work then I must move your problem into the box
>marked "weird".

 I had this problem, too: after renaming StataSE.1 to StataSE, I was unable
to launch the updated program.  Not being comfortable with the use of the
Terminal, I viewed the file with the shareware program "Super GetInfo", and
found that I as the "Owner" did not have permission to "execute" StataSE.
Simply checking the box to give me that permission enabled me to launch it.

Daniel Smith, Dr.P.H.
Environmental Health Investigations Branch
California Department of Health Services
eMail to [email protected]
Visit our website at http://www.ehib.org