Re: st: working directory

From   Roger Newson <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: working directory
Date   Mon, 05 May 2003 16:04:19 +0100

At 11:29 05/05/03 +0200, Hans J. Baumgartner wrote:
Dear listers

My institute switched to a network perpetual licence.
Thus, the default working directory differs from my prefered working directory and has to be changed manually each time when I start Stata 8. I am not able to save a profile.do in the working directory since (i) I have no write permission on that directory and (ii) my preferred profile might differ from my colleagues preferred profile.
Hans doesn't specify which operating environment is being used, so I will assume it is some form of Windows. Usually, when an instutute has a network perpetual license, it is possible for each user to have his/her own profile.do in his/her own PERSONAL directory on his/her own machine. (The PERSONAL directory usually has a path name like c:\ado\personal, but type -adopath- in Stata to be sure.) If that is not possible at Hans's institute, then Hans should have a word with the network administrator in charge.

Another possible solution (which I use) is to have an advanced text editor like TextPad or PFE, and to set that editor as the default application on my system for opening Stata .do files, and to have an item on the Execute menu (in PFE) or the Tools menu (in TextPad) to call Stata from within the editor, setting the default directory to be the directory of the current file. More about text editors for use with Stata can be found at
http://repec.org/docs/textEditors.html
which describes a selection of possible editors.

I hope this helps

Roger

--
Roger Newson
Lecturer in Medical Statistics

Tel: 020 7848 6648 International +44 20 7848 6648
Fax: 020 7848 6620 International +44 20 7848 6620
or 020 7848 6605 International +44 20 7848 6605
Email: [email protected]

Opinions expressed are those of the author, not the institution.

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/