RE: st: RE: bug with histogram?

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: bug with histogram?
Date   Wed, 7 May 2003 13:12:09 +0100

Edwin Leuven

> On Wed May 7 2003 13:46, Nick Cox wrote:
> > Behaviour confirmed with these data.
> > Over to Stata Corp
> > for a fix, or a more graceful trap of
> > any limit.
>
> or removal of limits

That may not be practical. Internally
-histogram- sets up a table, and so limits
on that may bite. As implied, it is a consequence of
what you asked for with the -discrete- option and
your data that -hist- thinks it is drawing lots
and lots of bars, even if most of them are zero.

As it happens, -spikeplot- uses a very different
approach and the results look very similar.
Personally, I'm pleased that -spikeplot- has
some remaining purpose.