st: RE: RE: translating data files between version eight and versionseven

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: translating data files between version eight and versionseven
Date   Sun, 4 May 2003 16:18:44 +0100

Nick Cox

> Basia Zaba
> >
> > I have Stata 7 on my laptop at home and am trying to help a
> > colleague with a data analysis problem, need to
> > do this urgently but this is a public holiday weekend in UK
> > so have no access to usual workplace resources
> > till Tuesday.  I think she has sent me the data file saved
> > as a version 8 file, when I try to load it I get a message
> > saying " file not in Stata format".  Is there a utility
> > that I can use to translate the file that she has sent me into
> > something that I can read in Stata 7?
>
> If your diagnosis is correct, one utility which might solve this
> problem is to email the 8-readable .dta to me.
> The fee for this will be GBP 100,000.00.

That was a serious offer, although I would be prepared to
consider a lower fee.

Alternatively, if your friend is accessible, she should use
-saveold- in Stata 8.