st: Help -- Having Difficulty Updating STATA Under Mac OS X

From   David Airey <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Help -- Having Difficulty Updating STATA Under Mac OS X
Date   Sun, 4 May 2003 09:13:22 -0500

> I hope that someone from this list can help me. This issue is really
> starting to get old for me. I have just tried to update my exe file
> but the system will not do it -- I keep getting an error message. The
> usual drill is for me to erase the entire STATA file and to reinstall
> the CD and then to do an update. STATA Technical support has been of
> little or no help on this issue. I am currently running OS 10.2.5,
> 80GB harddisk, and 1.2 GB of memory. What can I do to get a smooth
> updating of the exe file?

Steven

Well, I hope it is not called an exe file or you are reallyl in trouble
;-). Stata -update swap- expects to find "Stata.bin" but on the Mac
under OS X it is just called "Stata". Instead of doing -update swap-
just quit and remove the old Stata (actually, I compress and save mine,
just in case) and rename the file Stata.1 to Stata. Then go.

regards
David
If it were this simple. It never worked for me. When I did this (and emptied the trash), the rename StataSE.1 never starts.

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/