st: RE: Re: Re: Suggestions?

From   "Nick Winter" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: Re: Suggestions?
Date   Fri, 2 May 2003 09:50:14 -0400

Before getting into buyihg more computers, changing operating systems,
and the like, I would be sure that you have enough RAM under Windows.

If Stata is currently tapping into virtual memory--which quite possible
with a 100MB dataset on a Windows computer with 256MB of RAM--that would
slow down the process DRASTICALLY.

Try cutting your dataset in half and running on that.  If the speed
increases vastly--more than the 100%* increase you might expect from
having half the data--that might be an indication that a relatively
cheep RAM upgrade would solve your problems.

Nick Winter

(*) Percentages calculated using the "Stata graphics upgrade"
methodology :-)

 Nicholas Winter, Ph.D.                     P 202.939.5343
 Policy Studies Associates                  F 202.939.5732
 1718 Connecticut Avenue, NW     [email protected]
 Washington, DC 20009-1148           www.policystudies.com