st: Re: Suggestions?

From   "Eswar Krishnan MD" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: Suggestions?
Date   Thu, 1 May 2003 18:14:19 -0400

Hi

Thanks for the replies. Here is the situation:

I have a dataset with about 5000 individuals, each with about 5
observations. I need to run panel data estimators like XTREGAR, XTGLS and
calculated bootstrapped CIs on smaller regression samples. The data set is
about 100MB. As I mentioned earlier I had a Pentium 4 256 MB computer (with
virtual memory left to be determined by the system). A do file with
univariate and multivariate analyses about 20 lines takes a good 20 -30
minutes to run. Add to this the time needed to construct the .do file (even
if is perform the debugging in a small subsample). Now after 1 run if I
realize that I want to make a change, it takes a whole length of time. In
addition, I am not able to do anything useful while STAT is running.

I found from SUN representative that their Sunblade 150 can handle 5-6 gig
RAM easily as it is a 64 bit system. However, it costs a lot ( at least 5000
dollars with 2 gig RAM). So here am I...........  Hope this information is
helpful to others.

Eswar