st: RE: Sample size

From   VISINTAINER PAUL <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Sample size
Date   Mon, 28 Apr 2003 12:09:57 -0400

Don,

The problem you are having with sample size is that you haven't given enough
information.  It isn't clear whether you want to simply estimate the
prevalence/incidence of a condition in the population; whether you want to
"test" whether the occurrence in the population is really .001, or whether
you want to test the difference between groups, assuming the occurrence in
general is .001.  The last two options require you to specify an alternative
hypothesis, which you haven't given.

Using your sampsi input, you are specifying a comparison between a
prevalence of 1 per 1000 vs. none (or a really very, very rare prevalence).
In this case you're specifying that the null value is .001 and your
alternative is that it is much more rare than that.  If you reverse your
figures (e.g., sampsi 0 .001, p(.8)) you're specifying that the null value
is near 0 and your alternative hypothesis is that it is much more prevalent.

(I was actually surprised that sampsi performed the calculation with 0 as an
entry.  I suppose it actually uses a very small value for 0.)

For the first option, you rather just estimate the prevalence of this
condition, (which you think is pretty rare at .001), you might want to focus
on the precision of the estimate by specifying the width of the confidence
interval.  I don't think we can get a sample size estimate based on the
width of a confidence interval using sampsi.

So, what do you want to do?

Paul