re: st: inequal7 and beyond

From   "Moon Joong" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   re: st: inequal7 and beyond
Date   Fri, 25 Apr 2003 10:51:37 -0400

Dear Philippe Van Kerm,

Thank you *so* much for your help! I deeply appreciate it. And thanks a lot for writing great papers on income inequality and for creating good Stata modules.

Sincerely,
Moon Joong

From: [email protected]
To: [email protected]
Subject: re: st: inequal7 and beyond
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 10:36:36 +0200

Moon Joong,

(1) Retrieving results from -inequal2- or -inequal7- is not more difficult
than for other Stata commands. Inequality estimates are saved in global
macros (see the help files for details). For example,

gen results = .
inequal7 income
replace results = `r(gini)'  in 1
replace results = `r(kakwani)'  in 2
replace results = `r(mehran)'  in 3

will generate a variable containing estimates for the Gini, Kakwani and
Mehran measures.

(Note that -inequal7- stores results in macros rather than scalars. This
is an oddity I will fix when updating these commands.)

Look at -file- or -outsheet- if you want to export results to some other
software.

(2)  As for your second question, -inequal7- requires at least 11 obs. in
your dataset. (Why 11? That's because eleven inequality indices are
-tabdisp-layed by inequal7.) If you -set obs 11-, then run inequal7, it
should work. This is a small bug I should also fix one day, when updating
the command.

Hope this helps,

Philippe

<<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>>
Philippe Van Kerm
Research Associate
CEPS/INSTEAD
BP48, L-4501 Differdange, Luxembourg