st: RE: Why can't I egen means with pweights?

From   "Nick Winter" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Why can't I egen means with pweights?
Date   Wed, 23 Apr 2003 13:24:00 -0400

I don't think there is a preprogrammed thing for this (although Nick Cox
may prove me wrong), but you can do this yourself fairly easily:

	. sort month
	. by month: gen ET = sum(varname*wgt) / sum(wgt)
	. by month: replace ET=ET[_N]

Remembering that the weighted mean is simply the sum of the (variable
times the weight) divided by the sum of the weights.  The second line
creates the "running" mean within month, the third line replaces the
weighted mean for all observations with the final one for each month,
which is the overall weightd mean for the month.

Nick Winter