st: reading data with infix: record too long

From   stephan mankart <>
Subject   st: reading data with infix: record too long
Date   Mon, 21 Apr 2003 15:26:38 +0200

i am trying to read an ascii fixed format file (approx 1 gig) with
infix using stata se. the set contains app. 5,000 and 21,000
observations. at the moment i am only trying to extract a single
variable from the file and although i set up the number of variables
and ended up providing stata with 1 gig of memory i get the error:
record too long.
one of my suspicions was that stata gets confused about unix/windows
new lines, so i converted the file and tried it on both
plattforms...without success.

what's wrong, could anybody please help me out. thanks!