st: factor analysis/gllamm

From   Heidi Gjertsen <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: factor analysis/gllamm
Date   Thu, 10 Apr 2003 12:30:07 -0400

I have seen old posts on this topic, but I am still not entirely clear on how to proceed with my estimation. I was planning on using confirmatory factor analysis (with one factor) to reduce my data and create a new explanatory variable to be used in a regression. I believe that my variables can be considered as indicators of an underlying latent variable. The issue is that my data are a combination of binary, likerd scale, and continuous variables. As I understand it, the regular factor command in stata is not appropriate in this case, as it assumes the data are continuous and cardinal. I have been reading about the gllamm procedures and they seem appropriate, but I am not sure of what I need to specify in the commands (e.g. distributions) and how to create a new variable based on my results, i.e. is there something similar to the 'score" command after using 'factor"?
Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
Heidi Gjertsen
*