st: append

From   "Joao Pedro W. de Azevedo" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: append
Date   Mon, 7 Apr 2003 19:55:52 +0100

Dear Statausers,
I've just joined two datasets using the append command on STATA7, however
I'm having a problem.
When I ask to tabulate the variable region (string), which was present on
both datasets I get the following simplified output:

                        region         |      Freq.
---------------------------------------+-----------------
                                 Aztec |         18
                Barnsley and Doncaster |         18
                          Bedfordshire |         18
                            Birmingham |         18
                                 Aztec |         15
                Barnsley and Doncaster |         15
                          Bedfordshire |         15
                            Birmingham |         15

The problem here is that for some reason STATA does not recognize that the
names are the same, and tabulates them as if they two Aztec regions were
completelly different.
For some random reason I copied the entiere collum with this particular
variable to Excell, and then copied back to the same STATA file, creating a
new variable (var158). Please not that I did not modify this variable in any
way, while I had it on Excell.
For some reason, when I tabulate this new variable, STATA does recognize
that the name of the region were the same and produce the correct output
(bellow).

                              var158 |      Freq.
                               Aztec |         33
              Barnsley and Doncaster |         33
                        Bedfordshire |         33
                          Birmingham |         33

I would like to know if anyone could give me an idea of what is happening,
and how I could fix this within STATA itself.
Many thanks,
Joao Pedro/