st: Inverse Mills Ratio after MLOGIT

From   David Leblang <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Inverse Mills Ratio after MLOGIT
Date   Mon, 07 Apr 2003 08:52:28 -0600

Listers,

I am trying to estimate a selection type model in the tradition of the heckprob command however where the first stage has multiple outcomes (four) and the second stage is a standard logit/probit. My approach to this is to estimate the first stage as a multinomial logit, get the predicted probabilities, and plug them into the second stage logit. However, because I assume that the errors from the first and second stage models are correlated, I want to generate the inverse mills ratio (IMR) from the first stage multinomial logit and add those in the second stage equation (this is discussed in Millimet's faq on endogeniety). Here are my questions:

1. from a statistical point of view, does this make sense?

2. how can I obtain the IMR after the mlogit? I have searched the faqs, etc but cannot find an answer.

Thanks,

David Leblang
University of Colorado

*