st: RE: modifying a data set for multiple regression analysis

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: modifying a data set for multiple regression analysis
Date   Sun, 6 Apr 2003 16:15:25 +0100

[email protected]

> As a fairly new Stata user trying to do more tasks within
> Stata, I have 2
> questions about preparing a data set for a regression
> analysis.  Any help
> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> First, I have a data set with variables v1, v2,...,v6.  I
> would like to
> create a large new data set giving counts of each value of
> v1 for all
> combinations of v2,...,v6.  Have thought of going back to
> Microsoft tools
> and doing this with a query, but I'd prefer to do it all in Stata.
>
> Second, my reason for this request is that I want to
> regress counts of v1
> values using some of v2,...,v6 as predictors.  Are there
> features of Stata
> specifically intended for this procedure?

If I understand this correctly

preserve
contract v1 v2 v3 v4 v5 v6
list