RE: st: RE: fill bars

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: fill bars
Date   Fri, 4 Apr 2003 17:40:17 +0100

Edwin Leuven

> On Fri Apr 4 2003 18:07, Nick Cox wrote:
> > I still assert that Stata has never (>= 2.0) offered
> > a menu of point or line patterns.
>
> fact is that i had patterns
>
> http://www1.fee.uva.nl/scholar/mdw/leuven/stata/pie.gif

Your examples make it clear that we are talking about
the same feature of Stata.

Naturally, you are free to call these patterns and
to regard them as a loss if you liked them.

In Stata documentation, they were implementations of
different shadings (i.e. different intensities),
not qualitatively different fills. That different
intensities were obtained thereby was, I guess, a
reflection of some hardware consideration in the late
1980s when -graph- was implemented in Stata. In
particular, Stata graphs had to be printable
on all sorts of different printers and showable
on all sorts of different monitors.

To my eye, they are vibratory. As said, Tufte
is, to me, utterly convincing that such patterns are
distracting and a bad idea in general.

Graphical design, evidently, remains partly a
matter of taste, so we might have to agree to differ here.