Re: st: Re: graphics formats

From   Marcello Pagano <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: graphics formats
Date   Fri, 04 Apr 2003 08:09:03 -0500

Silly story.

m.p.

Christopher Baum wrote:
On Friday, April 4, 2003, at 02:33 AM, David wrote:

Hello bw,
well, for me, you ignore two issues:
1. In case one has to prepare hundreds of graphs, copy/paste is not
really an efficient procedure
2. if one wants to prepare internet presentations, one has to save or
convert or whatever to an internet-capable image format, compatible with
as much browsers  and generations.
Hope this helps to clarify
Best regards
David

In addition to these, and the comprehensive list Nick Cox provided, let me add one more. PowerPoint files are the least transportable of the current MS Office suite. I do not use it, but I often deal with students who have prepared their presentations in PPT. They generally are _not_ cross-platform if any maths appear in the slides. A senior honors student gave a presentation the other day in which he was not able to get his Windows laptop to work with a digital video projector, so he displayed it from the seminar leader's Mac OS X laptop, with Word X (latest version); the maths were munged. There are ways to avoid this problem, and ensure that a presentation will be equally usable by colleagues with Macs, Unix, Linux, etc. They involve use of TeX, and avoidance of PowerPoint.

Kit

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/

Marcello Pagano
Biostatistics Department			Tel: 1-617-432-4911
Harvard School of Public Health		        Fax: 1-617-739-1781
655 Huntington Avenue            		email:[email protected]
Boston, MA  02115                 		http://biosun1.harvard.edu/~bio200
USA

eppur si muove