Re: st: NASUG'2003 Wishes and Grumbles

From   "Ian R. Dohoo" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: NASUG'2003 Wishes and Grumbles
Date   Fri, 04 Apr 2003 08:18:21 -0400

Joseph Coveney wrote ....

> Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 09:07:02 +0900
> From: Joseph Coveney <[email protected]>
> Subject: Re: st: NASUG'2003 Wishes and Grumbles
>
> Thanks to Kit Baum for summarizing the wishes and grumbles session at
> this year's NASUG meeting.
>
> There is one more item that I remember being mentioned at the session,
> particularly because if someone else hadn't mentioned it first (I
> think Fred Wolfe?), I would have done so.  I'll paraphrase the way it
> was brought up at the meeting:  Stata needs an answer to SAS's PROC
> MIXED/SPSS's MIXED/S-Plus's lme.
>
> (It would really help to have an answer to SAS's PROC NLMIXED/S-Plus's
> nlme, too.)
>
> Joseph Coveney

I am in complete agreement with the need for an equivalent
to SAS Proc Mixed (for my work - currently the only serious
limitation in Stata)

However, I believe that -gllamm- (written by Sophia Rabe-
Hesketh) is not just an alternative to NLMIXED, but is in fact
more flexible (ie gllamm can handle n-level data while
NLMIXED is limited to 2-level data).

Ian Dohoo

                        Ian R. Dohoo,
                 Professor - Epidemiology,
              Department of Health Management
                Atlantic Veterinary College
                    University of P.E.I.,
          Charlottetown, P.E.I.  C1A 4P3   CANADA
e.mail <[email protected]>
phone 902-566-0640
FAX 902-566-0823

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one
that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka" but
"That's funny..."    --Isaac Asimov