st: Re: PDF

From   Christopher Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: PDF
Date   Thu, 3 Apr 2003 06:45:13 -0500

On Thursday, April 3, 2003, at 02:33 AM, Lee wrote:

I don't have a Mac, but I've heard that Mac OS X also has some special
relationship with the PDF. I had heard that anything that is drawn to the
screen is actually in PDF. Is that true? If so, does that mean Stata for Mac
can export graphs in PDF?
As Chinh replied, yes. In a broader sense, it is indeed the case that _any_ Mac OS X native application (that is, one built specifically to run on Mac OS, rather than adapted from the earlier Mac OS) -- code word 'Cocoa' -- can save its output as a PDF directly, without any need for Adobe Acrobat or other programs intervening. There is a 'Save as PDF' button in the Print dialog in every Cocoa app. I don't know if it is proper to say that the Mac is rendering PDF on screen, or using Display PostScript (as does, e.g., Sun Solaris), but there is indeed a 'special relationship' between the OS and PDF format. This makes producing stuff like course materials as easy as falling off a log, and unlike something like WMF, is completely cross-platform compatible...

Kit

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/