st: RE: Turning banded income into a continuous variable

From   "David Moore" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: RE: Turning banded income into a continuous variable
Date   Wed, 2 Apr 2003 11:56:14 -0800

Let me start with a non-answer comment.  I don't think assigning the
midpoint is necessarily simplistic.  Easy, yes, but why simplistic?  With
narrow bands, these can be very good guesses.  Given the notoriously poor
performance of statistical models to predict individual (self-reported)
income, I'm not so confident that a model based approach is necessarily
superior.  Even so, it seems intuitively appealing to model income for
additional information with which to improve on midpoint estimates.

For what it's worth, here's a completely data (as opposed to theory) driven
approach.  Begin, as suggested, with -intreg- and create predicted values.
As you noted, these will generally not fall within the bounds of the
original ranges.  Assuming that the originally coded data is correct, if
somewhat imprecise, the question becomes one of reconstructing the
distribution of incomes within each range.  Taking the predicted values as
"scores" rather than the truth, however, it is possible to assign these as
incomes bounded by the appropriate range.  It's a simple (simplistic?)
matter of transforming the predicted values so that they fall within the
associated range.  In other words, for respondents with incomes in the
$20,000 - $29,999 range, re-scale their predicted values so that the minimum
and maximum have the same $10,000 dollar range and shift the mean to
coincide with these bounds.  You could even constrain the median income of
these respondents to equal the midpoint of the interval, though this is
probably not a good idea given what we know about the distribution of
incomes.