RE: st: Graph output: wmf to gif?

From   "David LB Schwappach" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Graph output: wmf to gif?
Date   Wed, 2 Apr 2003 20:33:42 +0200

Dear all,
my original query has inspired an interesting discussion on the list. I
agree with Lee Sieswerda and others, that eps is best for paper
publication of graphs, such as journal submissions. However, as initial
format for gif conversion for web publication, my experiences are not as
good as reported by Lee. Through my eyes, the result are never as sharp
and precise as wmf to gif converted graphs (this may be an issue
introduced by Windows, though). Even after using and experimenting with
the respective filters in Macromedia Fireworks or Adobe Photoshop, the
results of the eps to gif conversions are far from perfect. For those
interested, I have uploaded the files for comparison
(http://www.h-ero.de/stata.htm).
As for now, my best solution is to save the graph as wmf in STATA, scale
it to needed size in a simple image editor, such as compupic
(www.photodex.com) and then save as gif.
By the way, I also experience the colour problem with png files but
despite this, png's work fine.
Best wishes and thank you all for your tips and help
David